Depression is a serious mental illness that affects your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors. While the experience of depression is different for everyone, most people report that while depressed they feel unhappy, irritable, unmotivated, and unsatisfied. Depressed individuals often endure a loss of self-esteem, decreased interest in most activities (including ones they previously enjoyed), lower cognitive function, increased lethargy, and excessive guilt.
Treatment for Depression in New York
Depression does not go away without treatment in most people. It is common for depressed patients to undergo several therapies before they find something that works for them. If you’d like to explore TMS depression treatment in NYC, Dr. Woo and the team at Madison Avenue TMS & Psychiatry will be with you every step of the way. We are dedicated to guiding patients and helping those suffering from depression in New York City feel less alone.
Our team will serve as your resource during your TMS treatment for depression in New York. If you have any questions about your treatment for depression, side-effects, TMS therapy costs or other available depression treatments in Manhattan, please don’t hesitate to ask.
There are many ways to treat depression in New York City and relieve its accompanying symptoms. It’s important to note that all patients are different and not all depression treatment is right for everyone. You may prefer one method over another, while someone else may prefer to use multiple methods. While combining treatments for depression is quite common, it’s important to speak with a physician before doing so.
Some common treatments for depression in New York include:
There are many different types of medications that may be prescribed to someone suffering from depression. Your doctor can help you determine which medication is best for you, but it is important to take all medications as prescribed while also being vigilant to any side effects. If any serious side effects, like suicidal thoughts, are experienced, it is important to consult your doctor immediately.
Also called “talk therapy,” this treatment involves talking to a professional about your symptoms as well as other depression-related issues you are experiencing. These therapies can often help a sufferer better understand their condition, how it affects them, coping methods, ways to support positive thoughts/behaviors, and to help them regain satisfaction.
Depression Therapy New York:
Many patients continue to undergo therapy for depression in New York City while receiving transcranial magnetic stimulation at Madison Avenue TMS & Psychiatry. All patients are encouraged to continue seeing their preferred mental health professional, however, we are happy to provide a referral to a trusted psychotherapist in NYC for anyone that would like one.
Brain stimulation therapies
- TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation)- Usually used for patients who haven’t had success relieving their symptoms through medication or psychotherapy. During TMS, a treatment coil placed on the scalp uses magnetic waves to gently stimulate areas of the brain that are associated with feelings of depression.
- ECT (electroconvulsive therapy)- Usually used in the most serious cases of depression and when the sufferer is determined to be at a high risk for suicide. The patient is hospitalized and placed under anesthesia for the procedure, where an electrical current is used to medically induce a seizure in the patient and stimulate the areas of the brain associated with feelings of depression.
Symptoms of Depression
Some of the most commonly reported symptoms of depression are:
- Feeling hopeless, worthless, empty, or sad
- Episodes of tearfulness, anger, and irritability
- Suicidal thoughts
- Constant or near-constant anxiety
- Increased difficulty concentrating or making decisions, and restlessness
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Prolonged fatigue
- Increased or decreased appetite
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
The symptoms above can be mild to severe, but if they are observed for more than two weeks, it is possible that you are experiencing depression.
Types of Depression
There are many different kinds of depression that manifest in different ways. A few of the most commonly recognized types of depressive disorders are:
- Major depressive disorder- Depressive symptoms that last over 2 weeks.
- Persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia)– Depressive symptoms that last over 2 years.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder– Depressive symptoms that occur in women shortly before their menstrual cycle.
- Substance/medication-induced depressive disorder- Depressive symptoms that occur as a result of the patient consuming a substance (i.e. illegal drugs, toxins, other medications, etc.)
Causes of Depression
Major depressive disorder (MDD) is a naturally occurring illness experienced by many of us, caused by a change in the signals sent and received by brain cells. Depression is often brought on by stress, genetics, hormones, and/or changes in the body’s biochemistry, but the nature of the disorder can cause sufferers to feel isolated, blame themselves, and ultimately have a hard time reaching out for help.